Thursday, March 8, 2007

NHS ceremony

So on Tuesday night I performed at the induction ceremony at North County High School because my sister Hannah (secretary in NHS) was head of entertainment. That said, she coaxed me into performing something that night. Well no, she basically just told me that I was "going to do it." lol

I picked a song for it the day before. "Heart of Life" by John Mayer. It seemed uplifting enough, and the jumpy piano part that I interpreted from the guitar parts in the song were very cute. My problem in the whole thing though was playing the piano part and singing it at the same time. Without any nerves at all, I could do the whole thing beginning to end, singing my heart out (pun intended), and do a decent job with it. That night was a different story though.

I get up there to play, and my hands start shaking. I tried to kind of ease myself out of it, but it didn't work. I was totally psyched out and kept thinking, "Oh my god, I didn't reherse enough...I'm gonna mess this up so bad..." It started well. I was pretty on for the most part, until the chorus. After the first chorus I started screwing up chords, and getting myself frustrated. I kept cool though. Maintained a level of decensy, and kind of redeemed myself at the last chorus and the ending was dead on. I just got wrapped up in a low confidence level and let myself think that I couldn't pull it off.

Afterward people said they didn't notice any flaws when I brought them up after compliments. I guess I shouldn't draw attention to them at all, but I'm pretty modest. Or I try to be. I know I'm good at it, but that night just wasn't my night. I wasn't prepared enough. But it was all right...

I did have one of the parents come up to me and say that I had good taste. At first I was confused and said, "I'm sorry?" He was referring to my handbag that had the "Beatles" on it, and reitterated that I had "good taste in music." When he found out that I made the bag, he was like, "wow, good taste, and talented. that's awesome." So I felt a lot better after that. ;-)

So it wasn't the greatest night, and it wasn't the best performance from me, but atleast I know I have good taste. :-D

No comments: