Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Terms of Endearment

I really don't know what it is, but I can't stand it when people call me by an endearing term. "Baby" "Sweety" "Honey" "Love" - any of them. It bothers me to no end.

I think that maybe I have some kind of inferiority complex about it. I see "baby" as belittling. Like I'm a weak-minded, naiive girl who can't think for herself without a male counterpart. That's the feminist in me I guess. I mean, I know that no one ever means it that way. And generally people call me those things to be nice, or polite, or whatever else. But I feel like I don't need that comfort. It's not comforting to me.

A friend of mine was helping me through a rough patch. And he wouldn't stop calling me by those things. It was his way of "comforting me" or "being there" or something. But all it did was tick me off. I ended up telling him so, and I hope I didn't hurt his feelings, because he's a good friend. But when everything is kind of complicated, and out of whack, I'd rather just be called by my name. I don't need the sweet talk. Just give it to me straight up.

Another thing about it all, is that I associate it with some kind of romantic or relationship status. When my relations with someone are far from, or no where close to a "relationship" or anything in terms of romance, that's just going to make me uncomfortable. I hate discomfort. Especially when it's unnecessary.

But really. I don't need it. I don't want it. I'm weird, I know. But just call me Abby. Please. lol

No comments: